How annoying isn't it that the great Kindle e-reader doesn't read EPUB files!? Well - here is a simple recipe of how to convert your EPUB files to Kindle format! Where there is a will, there is always a way :-)
- Install EPUB DRM Removal - ePUBee (freeware)
This SW removes any DRM lock on your EPUB files
- Install Calibre (freeware)
This program converts your EPUB files to Kindle format
- Convert your books
And that's it! The installations you do only once. The convertion you do for each book you buy (or bulks of books - you decide!)
- Go to: http://epubee.com/
- In the Book Device field - write "Kindle"
- Hit Download
- Choose "Save file"
- Go to your own Downloads directory
- Start "ePUBeeePUBDRMRemoval.exe"
- Hit Run
- Accept the installation if you get a question
Hit Next till you are asked to Install
- Click Install and here you go
- Click Finish and ePUBee is installed. You'll find a shortcut on your desktop.
Calibre runs on Windows (XP, Vista and 7), OSX and Linux.
(I go through the Windows installation only..)
- Go to www.calibre-ebook.com
- Choose Download Calibre
- Choose your operating system - Windows
- Choose Download calibre - (the link directly to the right of the Windows icon)
- Save File
- Go to your downloads directory and doubleclick the file calibre-0..8.15msi (the numbers here can vary from mine because of updates)
- Choose Run and your installation starts. This can take a couple of seconds - normal!
- Choose I accept the terms in the License Agreement and hit Install
- Choose Yes if you get questions of "Do you want the following program etc.."
- Choose Finish - the software is installed and Calibre starts. You'll find a shortcut on your desktop.
Convert your EPUB files to Kindle format
- IMPORTANT!!! - Put your EPUB file in the following directory: c:\users\"your_user"\documents\MyDigitalEditions
If you don't already have that directory - make it !!! Otherwise ePUBee isn't able to remove any potential DRM lock...
- Start your program ePUBee and hit the button "unDRM directory"
What happens when you "unDRM" the directory is that ePUBee removes the DRM lock from the new e-book file in the MyDigitalEditions directory and put your "clean" file in a directory called c:\users\"your_user"\documents\DecryptOutput
- Start your program Calibre
- Hit the button Add books
- Go to your directory c:\users\"your_user"\documents\DecryptOutput
- Doubleclick the file you want to convert to Kindle format and it opens in Calibre as your first line (1) of books.
- Mark the bookline with the book you want to convert (eg. hit the number 1 in line 1)
- Hit the button Convert books
- Check InputFormat upper LEFT corner - should say EPUB
- Make sure you choose the correct OutputFormat upper RIGHT corner. This must be MOBI (to be read on a Kindle)
- Click OK and you'll see in the down right corner a circeling icon saying "Jobs:1". When the file is converted it will say "Jobs:0"
- The file is now ready to read on your Kindle
Connect your Kindle to the PC
- You'll now find your clean and converted Kindle file in the following directory: c:\users\"your_user"\"author name"
- Choose your author and open the directory
- REMEMBER to copy the book file with filetype .MOBI to your Kindle:\documents directory
- When you unplug your Kindle, your new book will appear on your HOME screen
Any questions or problems? Send me an e-mail: email@example.com
Happy read :-)
Happy read :-)
...and my happy dog :-)